I love all lava cakes and I admit that I often order them when we eat out… there’s something so comforting about digging the spoon into a soft, warm, spongy cake and seeing the oozing chocolate come out.
I am a big fan of traditional lava cakes served warm and fresh out of the oven. However something magical happens with you add caramel and sea salt to the center of them. The warm chocolate sauce co-mingles with the richness and sweetness of the caramel and becomes one big happy plate.
Topped with ice cream and more caramel, this is a decadent dessert everyone is bound to love.
Salted Caramel Lava Cakes
20 min Prep Time
25 min Cook Time
45 min Total Time
- 24 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- vanilla ice cream
- In a small pan over low heat, combine caramels, milk, and salt, stirring constantly until smooth. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for 2 minutes and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in powdered sugar until combined.
- Add 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, and whisk until combined.
- Add vanilla and flour and mix again.
- Generously spray four 1 cup oven-safe cups with cooking spray, and evenly fill with batter.
- Spoon a generous amount of caramel into each cup (reserve the rest of the caramel for serving).
- Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven for 13-15 minutes until the outer edges are set and the center is still soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before inverting onto a plate drizzled with caramel sauce.